Great easy recipe and one of our go-to dishes. It's made in the crock-pot, which means that it takes some upfront dedication. In fact, the prep takes a bit longer than I'd like, so I reserve for a Sunday afternoon cooking session. But after it's done, it's mushy goodness, easy to store and reheat for at least 2 weeknight dinners. I've been embracing our crock-pot a lot, so much that we recently upgraded to a brand new model.
It also passes our toddler seal of approval: heart healthy, has 3 food groups (protein, carbs and veggies), easy to chew, and easy to reheat.
Babygirl loves this dish, and will eat it heartily. We've also experimented with adding zucchini and yellow squash, and it works pretty well. Please note that we don't give our kid sausage, as we feel it'd be too fatty. However, we cook it all together for the flavor. More sausage for the adults...
The recipe is slightly adapted from the "Crock-Pot Slow Cooker Bible"
- 2 table spoons olive oil * we don't use oil, just heat ingredients in a Teflon pan
- 11 oz cooked kielbasa, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs *for a leaner option, you can use chicken breast, and it still tastes juicy
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 cup diced carrots *or more
- 1 bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth *preferably homemade or sodium-free
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- On a medium skillet, brown sausage on both sides. Transfer to crock-pot with slotted spoon. You could also blot them with a paper towel to reduce the fat content
- Add onions, garlic to skillet. Add chicken and brown on all sides. This is easier if the chicken is cut into small pieces. Transfer to crock-pot
- Add rice, carrots, bell pepper, salt, black pepper and saffron to crock-pot. Pour broth over mixture until everything is just covered. This should be about 4 cups. Cover, cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Before serving, stir in peas. Cook for about 15 minutes. It helps if your crock-pot has a WARM setting.