Sunday, February 26, 2012

Super Simple Chicken Soup

We made this because Babygirl is sick, and you know what they say, chicken soup is the best for colds. My mom taught me this recipe, and it is one of those things that's in the family and has never really been written down.  I like it because it tastes great (always a plus), and is super easy to make.   

My personal rule with chicken soup is that you should be able to make it for yourself when you're sick.  So efficiency is of the essence.

Ingredients

  • 1 lb of chicken drumsticks or thighs (the soup comes out tastier if the chicken has bone, but then it's harder to eat later)
  • 1 onion, cut into quarters
  • 2 potatoes, cut into large pieces
  • 3 celery stalks, chopped
  • 3 carrots, cut into large pieces (if using baby carrots, about a third of a pack, no need to chop)
  • 2 tomatoes, cut into quarters
  • salt and pepper
  • oregano
  • 1/3  pack of angel hair pasta
Directions
  • Put a bit of water on large pot, add chicken, onion, potatoes, carrots, celery and tomatoes.  Add water until all ingredients are covered
  • Put on high heat until boiling, then lower temperature to lowest setting and simmer covered for at least 30 minutes.  The longer it simmers, the softer the veggies.   Check that chicken is cooked with a fork.
  • At the very end, season with salt, pepper and oregano.  At this point, also put pasta and boil for only 5 - 8 minutes
  • Enjoy
Notes
  • This soup can be as easy or complicated as you want.  Personally, I keep my veggies very large because the whole boiling process makes them mushy.  Also, I like eating big chunks of onion.  If you want to chop the veggies into tiny pieces, suit yourself.  I'm just lazy.
  • It's very easy to make substitutions. Sometimes, I skip the tomato or celery, depending on what's in the fridge.  Though I keep the veggies in the Mediterranean family.  
  • This is a recent tip I learned from my aunt: put the oregano at the very end.  Apparently, if the oregano boils and simmers for too long, it can taste bitter.  While if you throw it in at the very end, it keeps a fresh taste
  • Many times we substitute sweet potatoes for the potatoes.  Babygirl loooves sweet potatoes.
  • For kids, it's probably easier to substitute soup pastas.  When I was a kid, I loved alphabet or star pastas.  Easier to put on the little spoons.
  • The veggies and chicken should come out very soft and mushy.  Excellent for kids without molars.
  • It's very important to choose a part of the chicken with natural fats.  We currently prefer boneless skinless chicken thigh, making sure to keep the pieces the fatty sections.  Without the chicken fat, the soup lacks flavor.  It tastes even better if the chicken has skin, but it's a hassle to serve with a toddler.   If you're using lean chicken breast, I'd recommend adding a bit of olive oil.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious and comforting. You don't need to be a sick kid to enjoy chicken soup. You can be a hungover adult. I will have to try this instead of my take out chicken soup!

    ReplyDelete

add your message